In Seattle, WA, domestic violence is classified as a criminal act committed by one family member or household member against another. The law has categorized the following as domestic violence crimes:
- Malicious Mischief / destruction of property
- Sexual assault
- Interfering with reporting of domestic violence
- Physical violence or threat of violence
- Domestic assault not resulting in physical injuries
- Violation of a No Contact Order/Restraining Order
An alleged victim might call the police in an effort to diffuse a situation; however, it often results in an automatic arrest. A simple accusation of a scuffle is often all the proof needed for officers to find probable cause. Domestic abuse arrests are common in King County and Seattle, WA. After the 911 call has been made, police officers usually have no option but to arrest the accused due to mandatory arrest laws. This is where the domestic violence attorneys at Horwath Law can be of help.
The Impact of Domestic Violence Charges
An individual arrested for domestic violence in Seattle could face the following consequences:
- Misdemeanor or felony conviction charges
- Probation supervision and counseling
- No-contact orders or restraining orders
- Loss of right to own a firearm
- Loss of immigration status increasing risk of deportation
- Permanent restraining orders
- Travel restrictions
- Anger management treatment requirements
- Jail time
- Loss of employment
Vigorously, aggressively, and diligently protecting your rights against DV charges
Exaggerated and false accusations of domestic violence can turn your life into a nightmare. Being charged with domestic violence in Seattle and King County, WA can lead to a conviction. Our domestic violence attorneys at Horwath Law will take the time to understand details of your case and be mindful of your immediate concerns and future needs.
In becoming involved in your case at the earliest stage, our Seattle criminal defense attorneys may be able to prevent:
- Filing of formal criminal charges
- More serious or additional charges from being filed
- Incriminating statements from being made
- No contact orders prohibiting contact with the accuser
If the case goes to trial, our Seattle, WA attorneys will vigorously defend you by challenging the prosecution’s witnesses, highlighting the inconsistencies in witness accounts, and unraveling motives for presenting false or biased testimony. To avoid unwarranted convictions and unfair prosecution, contact our highly experienced domestic violence defense attorneys at Horwath Law, who have a record of success in domestic violence cases.
To set up a free appointment and find out how an experienced criminal defense lawyer can help you, call Horwath Law at (206) 660-9990 or contact us using our online contact form.
Read more about domestic violence lawyer Seattle.
We can help you defend against domestic violence allegations in Seattle, Bellevue and Redmond.