Tel: (206) 660-9990
Department of Assigned Counsel
2004 – 2007 (3 years)
Seattle University School of Law
2004 – 2007
Seattle University School of Law
2001 – 2004
Bachelor of Arts
Angela has attained highest AVVO rating of SUPURB and has also been awarded the “Client’s Choice Award” for the last five years in a row with over 50 client reviews on the public website. She is a member of the Washington State Bar Association, the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association, the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Washington Defender’s Association as well as the National College of DUI Defense and is licensed to practice law in courts throughout Washington in both State and Federal Court.
Prior to opening Horwath Law in 2008, she gained valuable trial experience as a public defender at The Department of Assigned Counsel located in Pierce County, Washington. While there, she was the Lead Counsel on hundreds of criminal cases and trained several attorneys in the practice of criminal law. In addition to her extensive trial experience, Angela has authored hundreds criminal legal motions and briefs. Angela’s private practice is devoted to criminal defense. She has particular trial experience in the area of domestic violence and DUI.
Unlike many local criminal defense attorneys, Angela is actually ready and willing to go to trial on all of her cases. She takes numerous cases to trial every year and as a result she stays at the top of her game. Judges and prosecutors throughout the area respect her negotiation and trial tactics. In fact, she recently taught a course to local DUI attorneys regarding her respected negotiation tactics. As a result, many of her cases end in dismissal or very sought after plea deals.
The Dream Team
Ms. Horwath employs a staff of two senior associate level attorneys as well as two experienced paralegals. This team has been affectionately referred to as “the dream team” by Horwath Law clients and it is honestly what sets Horwath apart from the competition. The Horwath Law team thoroughly reviews all cases from the stage of negotiation preparation to trial strategies. Clients really are getting the added value of three attorneys expertly defending their case.
Washington Criminal Defense Experience
- Mrs. Horwath has been the lead counsel on thousands of DUI and criminal cases
- She has authored hundreds of legal motions, many of which have lead to dismissal or significant reduction of the charges
- She was recently published in on the topic of DUI Blood Draw Cases (Washington Criminal Defense Magazine, August 2015
- Taught a DUI Negotiation and Issue Spotting Class to Pierce County DUI Attorneys (July 2015)
Some of Ms. Horwath’s Career Highlights include:
- Many Not Guilty verdicts at trial
- Avoided all charges being filed on a 1st degree Assault booking
- Successfully argued for a DUI to be dismissed based on improper blood draw. Judge agreed and dismissed the case.
- Successfully argued prosecutorial misconduct to a Judge during a Juvenile theft case. The Judge agreed and dismissed the case, three weeks into the trial.
- Successfully prevented a 15.9 year old juvenile charged with Murder in the Second Degree from being tried as an adult at a decline hearing.
- Defended and tried several hundred criminal cases from Juvenile Sex Crimes to misdemeanor DUI’s
- Successfully tried and received Not Guilty Verdicts on many other cases including charges of DUI, Assault, Malicious Mischief, No Contact Order Violations
- Successfully helped a man get released from jail after serving only two months of a five year sentence
- Persuaded the State to dismiss a Murder in the Second Degree Charge.
- Defended or tried over 1000 misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases, including DUI’s, Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance, Resisting Arrest, Obstructing, Reckless Driving, Driving with License Suspended 1st.,2nd., and 3rd. degree, Unlawful Display of Firearms, Assault Fourth Degree, Harassment, Malicious Mischief and Domestic Violence Assaults, to name only a few
- Lead Counsel on misdemeanor cases, most frequently in; Pierce, King, Thurston, Kitsap and District as well as the Municipal Courts in those counties.
- Successfully presented legal motions and obtained dismissals in dozens of cases, including, DUI, MIP, Prostitution, Indecent Exposure, DWLS 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, Domestic Violence Assault, Assault in the 4th degree, Possession of Stolen Property, Drug Loitering, and Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Successfully argued motions before Fife Municipal Court, Tacoma Municipal Court, Pierce County District Court, Thurston District Court, King County District Court, and Federal Court
- Successfully represented hundreds of clients at Probation/Revocation Hearings in District and Municipal Courts.